Construction Attorney | Business Litigator - Alan Appling
Alan Appling’s practice focuses primarily on commercial, construction, and labor and employment litigation. Alan has provided counsel to clients in the construction, banking, private equity, and manufacturing industries in a variety of disputes, in state and federal court, arbitration and mediation.
His broad litigation experience includes successful representation of clients in matters related to breach of contract, construction defects, commercial real estate disputes, commercial contract drafting/negotiation, business-related torts, FINRA securities arbitration, employment disputes (trade secret, employee non-competition and defense of discrimination and wage-and-hour claims) and fiduciary matters.
Prior to joining Andrews Myers, Alan practiced commercial litigation with two boutique business litigation firms in Houston, Texas.
- Business Litigation
- Labor & Employment
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Represented commercial general contractor in various subcontractor disputes in both state court and AAA construction arbitration.
- Represented residential homebuilder in AAA construction arbitration involving construction defect claims.
- Served as second chair in FINRA securities arbitration against major brokerage firm resulting in $1m award for clients.
- Served as second chair in two federal jury trials resulting in successful defense of a health-care provider against ADA discrimination claims brought by former employees.
- Successfully represented national owners and management companies in bench trials and jury trials across Texas involving residential and commercial disputes.
- Successfully drafted and argued dispositive motions in state court.
- Ongoing representation of owners and general contractors involving prosecution of, and defense against, construction defect claims.
- Assist in the representation of owner, general contractor, and subcontractor clients on a variety of different matters including breach of contract claims, settlement negotiations, lien removal and debt collections.
- Ongoing representation of contractors and suppliers in obtaining collection of past due accounts.
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
- J.D. – 2014
- Dean Merit Scholar
- Moot Court
- Hampden-Sydney College, Hampden Sydney, Virginia
- B.A. (Cum Laude) – 2010
- Varsity Baseball
- Academic All-American