Houston Real Estate Lawyer, Corporate / Commercial Law - Patrick O. Hayes
Patrick Hayes’ practice focuses on commercial real estate and assisting clients in acquiring, disposing, capitalizing and forming companies. Patrick’s real estate practice covers all aspects of commercial real estate, including acquisition, development, capitalizing, financing, leasing and disposition of all product types of commercial real estate. His corporate/commercial practice centers on the formation and restructuring of commercial entities, including corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies, as well as the acquisition, capitalization, financing and disposition of business enterprises, the preparation of various contracts and agreements, and the representation of clients in their ongoing business activities.
Patrick previously served as both the firm’s managing shareholder and then co-managing shareholder for over a decade.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate/Commercial Transactions
Bar and Court Admissions
- State Bar of Texas
- Represented a Houston-based developer with the development and leasing of over 2,000,000 square feet of industrial space
- Represented DC Partners in connection with the development and construction financing for The Allen, a landmark mixed-use development featuring a luxury hotel, residential condominiums, retail and state-of-the-art office buildings.
- Represented D. R. Horton in connection with the development of numerous residential subdivisions in the Greater Houston Metropolitan Area.
- Represented the owners of Drillscan Energy in connection with the sale of the company to Helmerich & Payne.
- Represented a Woodlands-based developer in connection with the acquisition, financing and development of three large mixed-use facilities in the greater Houston area comprising 250,000 square feet in the aggregate.
- Represented a Houston-based real estate firm in connection with the development, acquisition and disposition of student-housing and multi-family projects across United States.
- Represented the Mission Companies in connection with the acquisition of two office buildings comprising 160,000 square feet in the aggregate and the refinance of 1885 St. James Place, a 165,000 square foot office building in Houston, Texas.
- Represented a Houston-based company that provides lodging solutions throughout the Permian Basin.
- Represented a provider of crude oil marketing, gathering, and reclamation services to oil producers, salt water disposal operators, and other service companies throughout Texas in connection with its recapitalization with Rock Hill Capital.
- Represented a Houston based developer with the development and construction financing for a high-rise hotel and residential condominium on the San Antonio Riverwalk.
- Represented management in connection with the acquisition of a division that is a value-added distribution of cathodic protection products used in the control and monitoring of corrosion on metallic structures across the upstream, midstream, and downstream oil and gas segments, and in the municipal and utility sectors.
- Represented the sellers of approximately 306 acres of land in southwest Houston to The University of Texas. The sale was named by Houston Business Journal as HBJ’s Deal of the Year winner for Education in 2016.
- Represented DC Partners in connection with the development and financing (including equity financing through the EB-5 program) of Astoria, Arabella and Marlowe, three high-rise condominiums in Houston, Texas. The Arabella project was named by Houston Business Journal as HBJ’s Deal of the Year winner for Residential Real Estate in 2015.
- Texas Tech University School of Law, Lubbock, Texas
- J.D. – 1996
- The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
- B.B.A. – 1993
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- “Texas Super Lawyer,” as presented by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters Business, in Texas Monthly, 2013 – Present
- Recognized as a “Top Lawyer” by Houstonia magazine, January 2020
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Corporate Law, Real Estate Law), by Woodward/White Inc., since 2018
- Recipient, Houston Business Journal Landmark Award (Multifamily), 2019
- Featured Speaker, HBJ Commercial Real Estate Breakfast Series (Land & Industrial), October 2019
- Featured Speaker, HBJ Commercial Real Estate Breakfast Series (Galleria/Uptown), July 2019
- Featured Speaker, HBJ Commercial Real Estate Breakfast Series (Office Space), March 2019
- Recipient, Houston Business Journal, Deal of the Year– 2016
- Recipient, Houston Business Journal, Deal of the Year – 2015
- “Texas Rising Star,” as presented by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters Business, in Texas Monthly, 2005 – 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Houston Real Estate Lawyers’ Council
- Houston Bar Association, Real Estate and Mergers & Acquisitions Sections
- National Association of Industrial & Office Properties (NAIOP)
- ABA Business Law Section (Member, Mergers and Acquisitions Subcommittee)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
Speeches and Publications
- “Want to Quickly Sign Your Name? It Could Cost You,” AM Monthly Law Alert, June 2021
- “PPP Loan Forgiveness Application and Supplementary Guidance Release,” AM Law Alert, May 2020
- “SBA Provides Additional Guidance on ‘Good Faith Certification’ for PPP Loans,” AM Law Alert, May 2020
- “Additional Funding for Paycheck Protection Program and EIDL,” AM Law Alert, April 2020
- “Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) is out of Money,” AM Law Alert, April 2020
- “New Federal Reserve Programs Announced to Assist Business Owners,” AM Law Alert, April 2020
- “CARES Act Update: PPP & $250 Billion Boost | EIDL Program Expansions,” AM Law Alert, April 2020
- “SBA Issues Revised Application and Guidance on Paycheck Protection Program,” AM Law Alert, April 2020
- “The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Securities Act,” AM Law Alert, March 2020
- “Rock You Like A Hurricane? Affirmative Steps You Can Take To Be Ready For The Storm” U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, October 2019
- “Facilitating the Sale of Family-Owned Business,” AM Monthly Law Alert, March 2018
- “Our Property Insurance Covers That… Doesn’t It? Misconceptions, Over-Lawyering and Other Wrong Assumptions that Landlords Make When it Comes to Property Insurance,” Co-Panelist, 2017 ICSC US Shopping Center Law Conference, October 2017
- “Reviewing the Obligations Under Your Commercial Lease (Post Hurricane-Harvey),” AM Monthly Law Alert, September 2017
- “Future of the Galleria, Uptown Houston and Greenway,” Moderator, Bisnow Houston, March 2017
- “Parents Beware! Think Twice Before Co-Signing Your Child’s Apartment Lease,” AM Monthly Law Alert, January 2017
- CRE Panelist, CoreNET Young Leaders Mentor Program, Rice University, February 2012
- “Game Changer… Chapter 64 of the Texas Property Code,” Bisnow Report, August 2011
- “Successful Real Estate Workouts… Do They Exist,” Gainer Donnelly & Desroches Roundtable Forum, July 2011
- “New Texas Law to Adversely Impact Real Estate Owners, Tenants,” CityBiz Houston, July 2011
- “Eye on Houston: Rise in Traditional Commercial Real Estate Transactions,” CityBiz Houston, October 2010
- “Borrowers Beware: Are ‘Securitized’ Loans Really Nonrecourse?” Texas Lawyer Magazine, March 15, 2004 (co-author)
Pro Bono Activities
- Christ Church Cathedral (Trustee of the CCC Endowment; Former Member of the Vestry)