Andrews Myers recognizes that diversity of ideas, backgrounds, and experience are essential to providing the best legal representation to our clients. We believe that a more diverse law firm is a better law firm. Our commitment to diversity is one of the firm’s most important core values.
The mission statement of our Diversity Committee is to promote diversity, equity and inclusion within the firm as a vital and transparent part of our firm culture by incorporating diversity in our hiring practices, leadership, community involvement, education, marketing, and firm activities.
How do we define DE&I at Andrews Myers?
Diversity: Any dimension that can be used to differentiate groups and people from one another. In a nutshell, it’s about empowering people by respecting and appreciating what makes them different, including evolving categories such as age, gender, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation, education and national origin.
Equity: The access to or distribution of resources according to need, and including evaluating and applying fair and just practices and policies that ensure all employees can thrive.
Inclusion: An organizational effort and practice in which different groups or individuals having different backgrounds are culturally and socially accepted and embraced, as well as respected.
These definitions are important to our organization, yet we also recognize that these concepts are ever evolving and subject to personal experiences.
As a firm, our diversity goals are:
- Committing to interviewing and hiring more diverse, qualified candidates at all levels of the firm.
- Rewarding and recognizing diversity successes, activities and achievements within the firm, clients and community.
- Making financial contributions inside and outside the firm to further our goals.
- Cultivating an attitude of inclusion, respect and dignity in the workplace.
- Providing effective mentoring and sponsorship within our firm and the diverse community at large.
- Successfully recruiting, developing and retaining attorneys and staff of diverse backgrounds and characteristics.
We have taken the following concrete steps to ensure that diversity and inclusion is a priority at Andrews Myers:
- Members of the Diversity Committee are active participants in the overall On-Campus Interviews (OCI) and Hiring Committee for the recruitment of summer law clerk candidates.
- We support the Houston Bar Association’s 1L Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Summer Clerkship and Mentoring Program, and will continue to look to this Program as a pipeline for talented first-year law students.
- Andrews Myers is a Bronze Underwriter of the Hispanic Bar Association of Houston‘s 34th Annual Gala
- Andrews Myers is a sponsor of the Hispanic National Bar Foundation Future Latino Leaders Summer Law Institute program in Washington, DC
- Andrews Myers supports the National Association of Women Judges – Color of Justice Program.
- Andrews Myers is a sponsor of the Associated Builders and Contractors ID&E Program efforts.
- Andrews Myers was a lead sponsor of the Holocaust Museum Houston’s “Notorious RBG” exhibit.
- Andrews Myers is a supporter of Houston Community College’s Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA), and sponsor of their Salute to Minorities in Construction program.
- The Andrews Myers’ Women’s Initiative program