Houston Trial Attorney - Bret Rycroft
Bret Rycroft represents a wide range of clients in business disputes in state and federal courts across Texas. His goal is to find creative, practical and value-driven solutions to the complex issues his clients face.
Bret has successfully represented clients in matters related to breach of contract, business-related tort matters, employment disputes, personal injury claims, construction defect claims, and enforcement of non-competition agreements. He has represented a diverse group of clients across numerous industries, including real estate, property management, construction, oil and gas, energy and Texas businesses.
Prior to joining Andrews Myers, Bret practiced commercial litigation with a business litigation firm in Houston, Texas and previously practiced criminal defense with a defense firm in Houston, Texas. Bret started his career as a member of the trial team for Roger Clemens in Washington, D.C.
Bret is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law and Residential Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Real Estate
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- Successfully represented national owners and property management companies in hundreds of bench trials and numerous jury trials across Texas involving residential and commercial real estate disputes.
- Represented numerous general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers in collection claims with foreclosure of mechanic’s and materialman’s liens and mineral property liens.
- Successfully prosecuted breach of contract claim for Fortune 500 material supply company.
- Defended national owners and property management companies in numerous residential and commercial lawsuits involving breach of contract allegations, business related tort claims, DTPA claims and discrimination claims.
- Defended subcontractor in the U.S. District Court in the Southern District of Texas for claims involving CERCLA, RCRA, RICO, nuisance and trespassing
- Defended general contractor in AAA arbitration for termination claims
- Successfully represented owners and national property management companies in multiple complaints with U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Texas Workforce Commission and the City of Austin Fair Housing Department.
- Successfully prosecuted claims for subcontractors and suppliers against general contractors and individual owners for violating the Texas Construction Trust Fund Statute.
- Defended Texas custom home builders in RCLA claims for construction defects.
- Successfully prosecuted subcontractors breach of contract claims against general contractors and owner in AAA arbitration.
- Defended Fortune 500 property management company in personal injury claims.
- Represented residential real estate developer in Texas state court involving claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, and multiple DTPA claims.
- Defended national management company in discrimination and fair housing lawsuit in the U.S. District Court in the Southern District of Texas.
- Successfully defended national management company in the U.S. District Court in the Southern District of Texas for claims of violation of Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
- Defended real estate developer in Texas state court for felony water pollution.
- Represented numerous oil and gas companies in disputes with service companies
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
- The University of Texas, Austin, Texas
- B.A. – 2008
- Texas Crew Rowing Team
Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Board Certified in Residential Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- “Texas Rising Star,” as presented by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters Business, in Texas Monthly, 2017-Present
- Recognized as a “Top Lawyer,” Houstonia magazine, January 2020
- State Bar of Texas
- Litigation Section
- Construction Law Section
- Houston Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Real Estate Section
- Construction Law Section
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Habitat for Humanity Committee
- Garland Walker Inns of Court
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Houston Apartment Association
- Texas Apartment Association
- National Apartment Association
- Associated Builders and Contractors, Greater Houston Chapter
- “Texas Lien Law & Collections,” North Texas Roofing Contractors Association, Dallas, Texas, October 2019
- “New Firearm Legislation”, AM Monthly Law Alert, June 2019
- Mock Trial educational seminar, Associated Builders and Contractors Leadership Forum, April 2019
- (Contributing Author) Recent Court Opinions Concerning Construction Law, The Change Order, State Bar of Texas Construction Law Section, March 2019
- “Is Fido Allowed? And Should Fido be Allowed?”, AM Monthly Law Alert, October 2018
- “Fair Housing,” AM Monthly Law Alert, 2018
- “Generational Age Gap,” Houston Bar Association Continuing Legal Education, April 2018
- Blue Star Program, Houston Apartment Association, 2017
- Mock Trial, Houston Apartment Association, 2017
- “Certified Apartment Manager,” Houston Apartment Association, 2016 & 2017
- “Leasing 101,” Houston Apartment Association, Annual Presentation, 2015 – Present