Commercial Litigator Moustapha El-Hakam
Moustapha El-Hakam’s practice focuses on advocating for plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts and arbitrations across the country in a wide variety of commercial disputes, including construction, oil and gas, breach of contract, real estate, trademark infringement, trade secret and defamation.
Formerly in-house counsel for an international industrial shipping and supply company, Moustapha has experience in transactional matters, including contract drafting, negotiation and review, as well as licensing and regulatory issues pertaining to international trade.
Prior to joining Andrews Myers, Moustapha worked with a boutique commercial litigation firm known for high-stakes litigation and alternative fee structures.
- Commercial Litigation
- Representing owner of industrial facility in prosecuting and defending competing delay claims against EPC contractor.
- Served with a team of lawyers representing a global energy company in defending against climate change litigation filed in courts across the country.
- Assisted in representing electronic voting machine manufacturer in defamation claims against various news networks.
- Represented global energy company against oil-field services and products company for breach of contract arising from the failure of surface controlled subsurface safety valves.
- Counseled convenience store and gas station chain regarding proposed settlement of card-swipe fee class action lawsuit against payment processing companies.
- Represented basketball scout and promoter in trademark infringement claim against well-known athletic apparel company.
- Assisted in representing independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company in defending against breach of contract claims asserted by a natural gas transporter relating to gas purchase, gathering and processing contracts covering the Wattenberg Field near Denver, Colorado, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Member of the team that secured multiple settlements with various banks accused of conspiring to manipulate the Libor benchmark interest rate, resulting in a total settlement fund of $590 million for the benefit of a class of plaintiffs that include cities, pension funds, and others known as “over-the counter” purchasers.
- Assisted in representing a class of plaintiffs in a federal multidistrict litigation against a multinational automotive manufacturing company over defective ignition switches installed on millions of vehicles, resulting in multi-million-dollar settlement.
- Evaluation of potential class action lawsuit or MDL against building materials manufacturer on behalf of a nonprofit trade association.
- Represented investment company in fraud and breach of contract claims against self-storage chain and its managing member.
- Assisted in representing patent holding company in an action asserting key LTE and WIFI patents against major telecommunications carriers, resulting in successful resolution against all defendants the month before trial.
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
- The University of Texas, Austin, Texas
- State Bar of Texas, Construction Law Section
- State Bar of Texas, Antitrust and Business Litigation
- Houston Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- American Bar Association