Texas Workforce Commission Responds to COVID-19
April 6, 2020 — The Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) has taken steps to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, in light of Governor Greg Abbot’s declaration of disaster. Here is what employees and employers should know:
- If a business shuts down due to a closure order from a governmental entity, it may be eligible for chargeback protection. When responding to an unemployment claim, an employer should include a copy of any government shutdown order it is under.
- Additionally, employers are encouraged to state how they have been impacted by COVID-19. Employer tax accounts may be protected from chargeback because of the governor’s declaration of disaster.
- An employer may also be eligible for protection from chargebacks if the evidence shows that an employee’s work separation was for medical reasons (related to coronavirus or otherwise).
- TWC is waiving work search requirements for all claimants. The TWC is also waiving the waiting period for those claimants whose jobs were affected by COVID-19. Workers in Texas will be able to receive benefits immediately after their unemployment benefit applications are approved.
- The due date for first quarter 2020 tax reports and payments is extended to May 15, 2020. Employers may begin filing after April 15, 2020
The TWC has stated that all information relating to COVID-19 is subject to change. It recommends revisiting this page regularly for updates.
Celebrating 30 Years in 2020
Founded in 1990, with offices in Houston and Austin, Andrews Myers, Attorneys at Law, is a corporate law firm and recognized market leader in Texas construction law. The firm focuses on the concentrated disciplines of commercial litigation, construction, commercial real estate, corporate and business transactions, with additional emphasis on related issues including bankruptcy and insolvency, energy, employment and capital formation. A seasoned team of attorneys provides timely and cost-effective solutions to the most complex problems facing entrepreneurs and middle-market industry leaders throughout the state and the nation. For more information please visit www.andrewsmyers.com.